Thursday, February 21, 2008

Gasoline from CO2?

Never ceases to amaze me, but whenever I blog something I read something new within hours which changes my view. Yesterday I said to look for hydrogen and electric for final solution on powering cars. Then, over lunch, I finally got around to reading Tuesday’s papers, and the NYT Science Times section reports a proposal out of Los Alamos national lab to produce synthetic gasoline from the CO2 in the atmosphere. Of course this addresses the fuel problem rather elegantly, but it does not address the energy problem. The energy to do this still needs to come from somewhere, probably a power station. In this it is no different from electric or hydrogen cars. The big advantage however is that no change is required to our cars or to the gas stations we rely upon. Seems like a win-win to me.

No comments: